GSG Housing Task Force
Plots of Graduate Stipends and Rents
- The Graduate School has mandated a 5.575% increase for FY2007. This brings the new minimum 9.5 month assistanceship to $13,224.
- Graduate Pay Grades:
- Step I is for the first-year graduate assistant only
- Step II is for second-year assistants, as well as those
students, new or continuing, holding a master's degree
- Step III is reserved for doctoral candidates (after comps/proposal)
- The graduate school does not have minimums for Step II or III
- Departments are allowed to pay graduate students more than the minimum, as
long as it is consistent across the department
- Open questions: How many graduate students get more than the minimum? What is a typical
- Historical Rents at Graduate Hills/Graduate Gardens
- These rents are set by formula that averages properities in the College Park area
- Source: Resident Life
- Historical Computer Science Department Stipends
- Computer Science Department has enjoyed better pay raises than the graduate school
- Source: Computer Science Department Graduate Program
- Percent of Stipends Paid to Rent (post-taxes) for Computer Science
graduate students at Graduate Hills/Graduate Gardens
- "2 Bed (shared)" indicates paying half of the rent for a two bedroom
unit, i.e., with a roomate.
- Computer Science Department is paid more than the minimum amount indicated
by the graduate school
- Current CS graduate students pay 58-67% of their income for a one bedroom and
35-41% of their income for a shared 2 bedroom.
- Efficiencies prices are listed here because the
increase is disproportionate to 1 and 2 bedrooms. Currently, CS graduate students
pay 51-59% of their income for rent on efficiencies.
- 20% tax estimate comes from my personal paycheck.
Graduate students are in the 15% Federal
Tax bracket and pay state and local taxes, so this
is a reasonable approximation.
- These figures ASSUME that graduate students get
summer assistanceships at
their same 9 or 9.5 month funding rate. This is not
necessarily true and can dramatically impact the above plots.
- Current (i.e., not computer science) graduate students who receive the minimum stipend ($13,224 for 9.5 months):
- Earn $1,113 a month, after taxes (est. 20%, as above)
- Living at Graduate Hills/Graduate Gardens:
- Pay 71% of their salary to rent for an Efficency
- Pay 81% of their salary to rent for a 1 Bedroom
- Pay 48% of their salary to rent for a 2 Bedroom with roomate
Questions or comments, please mail